- Baton Rouge, LA
- Part Time
Are you interested in improving state government? Are you naturally inquisitive and enjoy learning? The LLA is seeking inquisitive and adaptable individuals with strong critical thinking and communication skills from a variety of educational backgrounds who are passionate about improving Louisiana.
The Accounting Student Intern is a member of the accounting department and possesses the skills necessary to perform clerical and technical support services in the accounting, verifying, and documenting of agency financial and payroll transactions. Examples of functions are cash and revenue management, funds disbursement, expenditure control, budgeting, accounts receivable, fixed assets, accounts payable, and miscellaneous related transactions.
The Accounting Student Intern differs from the Accountant I position by the level and scope of work performed; expected knowledge of accounting principles and concepts; and by the higher degree of direct supervision required.
Examples of Work/Skills
Must be proficient in all areas listed below to perform either as a primary or backup responsibility as directed by the Comptroller.
- Obtains and processes incoming mail.
- Prepares the bi-weekly reconciliation of expense reimbursements (“Travel Reconciliation”).
- Assists in reconciling various accounts.
- Verifies vendors invoices, statements, and the accounts payable with agency purchase orders/encumbrances; corrects and/or reports discrepancies; and processes for payment according to established standards to ensure compliance with generally accepted governmental accounting principles, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Prepares reports from the accounting system as needed.
- Obtains or prepares files and financial records to document transactions.
- Prepares budget adjustments as needed.
- Prepares journal entries for all related accounting activity.
- Enters journal entries and budget adjustments into the accounting system.
- Prepares receipts and bank deposits for incoming checks and electronic payments.
- Assists in classifying revenues and expenditures in accordance with the chart of accounts.
- Prepares records of financial transactions to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- Prepares and distributes payroll overtime reports.
- Prepares vendor checks and electronic payments for the authorized bank signers.
- Prepares accounting files for storage at State Archives within required records retention timeframes.
- Accumulates financial records and reports as needed to support customer invoices, to respond to internal or external requests, etc.
- Performs a variety of accounting assignments including accounts analysis, reconciliation, report preparation, and classification of costs and charges; assists as needed in the preparation of financial statements and related reports.
- Maintains files and performs a variety of minor bookkeeping and bookkeeping related duties.
- Scans and files documents as needed.
- Performs other clerical duties as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate with supervisors and co-workers.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow instructions and accept constructive feedback from supervisors.
- Demonstrates appropriate attention to detail.
- Accepts responsibility for actions.
- Seek supervisor guidance in applying judgment in a manner commensurate with experience.
- Adheres to LLA standards of conduct and protocols.
- Maintains a positive, constructive attitude and works well with others.
- Maintains confidentiality of information.
- Must be currently enrolled as a student in a postsecondary educational institution, preferably working towards an accounting or business-related degree.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week on a regular basis.
- Experience with Excel, Word, and Adobe is preferred.
- Cover letter
- Official or Unofficial College transcripts